In case you missed the epic saga that was Washington, DC here on the blog, I recently headed to the nation’s capital to shoot for a couple of days and then attend Photoshop World. I was especially excited to not only visit DC for the first time in my life, but to have my good buddy and mentor, Dave Vernon, tag along for the wild ride.
What is Photoshop World, you ask? Well, the name says it all! Created and presented by the National Association of Photoshop Professionals, the brain child of the great Scott Kelby, this biannual conference is the première conference for photographers, editors, retouchers, graphic designers, and computer geeks. While the name of the conference is Photoshop, the classes and presentations offered ranged in everything from photography to lighting to retouching to portfolio building and more.
Every day lasted around 10 to 12 hours and was packed with loads of education and fun. I was able to take classes with some of the greatest people in our industry including Joe McNally (scratched that off my bucket list!), Dave Black (official photographer for the Olympics), Jay Maisel (not only engaging and funny, but his work will take your breath away with its simplicity), Joel Grimes, David Ziser, Moose Peterson, Scott Kelby, RC Concepcion, and Greg Heisler (this guy has shot almost every Time Man of the Year cover for years).
Needless to say, I came back with more inspiration and motivation than I’ve had in years. I’m hitting the ground running so stay tuned for more personal projects, concepts, ideas, shoots, images, and all around madness! Mwa ha ha ha… ha… ha…
Okay… serious time. While Dave chose to review Photoshop World, I’m going to take a slightly different approach and present you with some comedic relief, courtesy of two bumbling Illinois photographers in the nation’s capital. Enjoy!
What would a vacation be without some comical, “I wish we hadn’t done that” moments:
- Strap on Vuji’s suitcase breaks immediately after arrival in DC
- Vuji & Dave get lost on the way to the condo
- Dave forgets entire PSW registration packet at home
- Dave forgets polarizer, also at home
- After a brief phone call with the good folks at Arlington inquiring about shooting at sunrise, Dave informs me that… “we will be shot if we enter Arlington before 8 a.m.”
- Dave leaves camera cards at condo during first day
- Dave also runs out of batteries on first day
- Vuji forgets medication at home; fights narcolepsy off for five days
- Vuji & Dave miss shooting at sunrise on second day as was planned
- Vuji loses conference badge on train to PSW first day; ends up half hour late to opening ceremonies
Things I Learned About Washington, DC
- There is not a single working “up” escalator in the entire DC subway system.
- Watching Marine One make a landing really is all that and a bag of chips.
- Picnics along the Tidal Basin must be the DC equivalent of dinner and a movie.
- Tripods are the number one threat to national security, especially in downtown DC.
- Everyone, and I do mean everyone, is a photographer in the capital.
- Even the dorkiest of dorks looks sophisticated and suave in a business suit.
- If it sounds like someone is speaking in a foreign language, they are.
- The reflecting pool is not located next to the Washington Monument; the Washington Monument is two-tone.
- Cabs aren’t as expensive as you think; use them often and your legs/hips will thank you for it.
- In DC, you ain’t one of the cool kids unless you run and/or bike at all times every day.